Novak Djokovic, the world’s top-ranked male tennis player, said on Tuesday he has tested positive for COVID-19, after taking part in a tennis exhibition series he organised in Serbia and Croatia.

“The moment we arrived in Belgrade we went to be tested. My result is positive, just as Jelena’s, while the results of our children are negative,” Djokovic said in statement on Tuesday.

The 32-year-old tennis star was tested in Belgrade, and received his medical test’s results on Monday evening. He will remain in self-isolation for two weeks and will repeat the test in 5 days.

“Unfortunately, the virus is still present, and it is a new reality that we are still learning to cope and live with”, his statement reads.

Djokovic is the fourth leading player to get infected by the disease before the end of Adria tour, held in the cities of Belgrade and Zadar. He has received acute criticism for organising the charity tournament and bringing in players from other countries amid the Coronavirus pandemic.

“Everything we did in the past month, we did with a pure heart and sincere intentions. Our tournament meant to unite and share a message of solidarity and compassion throughout the region,” said Djokovic.

Earlier in April, the Serbian champion had expressed his concerns over the possibility of the coronavirus vaccine becoming necessary for travel.

“Personally I am opposed to vaccination and I wouldn’t want to be forced by someone to take a vaccine in order to be able to travel,” Djokovic said on a live Facebook chat.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here