The UK government on Saturday evening unexpectedly announced it will re-impose a two-week quarantine obligation to travellers arriving from Spain, following a surge in COVID-19 infections in the Mediterranean country last week.
The quarantine measure took effect from Saturday night, and also includes the islands of Majorca, Menorca and Ibiza, with the British Foreign Ministry also advising citizens to avoid non-essential travel in Spain, to avoid a second wave in the country. However, the non-essential travel ban does not apply to Canary and Balearic islands.
After UK’s Foreign Office removed Spain from the safe travel list, people arriving from the southern country will be requested to provide authorities an address where they will self-isolate for 14 days or risk a fine, and they will not be allowed to go out to buy food if some else can arrange it for them.
Spanish authorities said they “understand” UK’s decision, and that they are in touch with British authorities, adding that the virus spread in the country is “under control.”
“As in every other country, we are seeing outbreaks, which are perfectly under control,” Spain’s foreign minister Arancha Gonzalez Laya told reporters on Sunday, adding that “most new cases are asymptomatic. This shows the great effort in identifying and controlling them.”
Since Spain reopened its borders to travellers and eased restrictions, it has noted a spike in Coronavirus cases, with most infections hitting young people who have been gathering in larger numbers.
Only on Friday, the country reported 2,550 new cases.